Plan for a Hurricane or Severe Weather
Getting your mobile or manufactured home ready for the hurricane season is crucial to keep it safe during bad weather. Here is a checklist to help you prepare and stay protected:
Storm Preparation Checklist
1. Make a plan:
- Create a family emergency plan with contact information and a meeting spot.
- Learn the evacuation routes and find nearby shelters if you need to leave.
2. Trim trees and clear debris:
- Cut branches near your home that could break during strong winds.
- Remove anything in your yard that could become dangerous in a storm.
3. Secure outdoor belongings:
- Bring inside or tie down outdoor furniture, grills, and loose objects.
- Store or secure things like potted plants, garden tools, and toys.
4. Reinforce doors and windows:
- Put up storm shutters or cover windows with plywood.
- Make sure doors are locked and consider adding extra locks.
5. Check tie-downs and anchors:
- Make sure your home is firmly attached to its foundation.
- If needed, ask someone to check and strengthen the tie-downs.
6. Seal windows and doors:
- Look for any gaps or cracks around windows and doors.
- Use special strips or caulk to seal them and keep water out.
7. Inspect your roof:
- Check for loose or damaged shingles and fix them quickly.
- Make sure your roof can handle strong winds.
8. Clear gutters and downspouts:
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure water can flow away from your home during heavy rain.
9. Review insurance coverage:
- Read your insurance policy to make sure it covers hurricanes and storm damage.
- Think about getting flood insurance if you live in a flood-prone area.
10. Keep emergency supplies ready:
- Prepare a kit with water, non-perishable food, flashlights, and batteries.
- Keep important documents and medications in a waterproof container.
Stay updated about the weather here and follow evacuation orders from local authorities. Stay safe and be prepared! To learn more about tropical storms and hurricanes, visit nhc.noaa.gov or Ready.gov/hurricanes.
Oak Creek homes are Weather-Ready
Oak Creek Homes works with NOAA and other partners to make our country ready for severe weather. We focus on building strong homes that can handle tough weather. Our homes are made to endure extreme conditions and keep you and your family safe. See 15 Reasons why an Oak Creek Home is weather-ready. Don’t just take our word for it – hear from happy customers whose homes have stayed strong during tornadoes and hurricanes.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: We do NOT suggest or advocate staying in your home during a storm with high winds, heavy rains, or flooding. On the contrary, we strongly advise our customers to stay aware of the risks associated with any weather event and follow the guidance and instructions given by local authorities to ensure their safety.
Experience the top-notch construction of our homes by scheduling a visit at your nearest Oak Creek Home Center today. Come and see for yourself!
Oak Creek Homes has over 100 floorplans for you to choose from, suiting various styles, tastes, and budgets. We deliver homes to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and some parts of New Mexico. With over 50 years of experience, Oak Creek Homes is an experienced builder in the industry.